Attorney James E. Crawford, Jr.
Founder and Managing Partner
As a Baltimore-native, Attorney James Crawford grew up watching his father interact with some of the best judges and prosecutors in the state, using forcefulness and grace to navigate complex legal situations. He learned that the power to change the life of even one client is worth more than any amount of money or prestige.
As one of the most capable and tenacious trial lawyers in Maryland, he has enjoyed an extraordinary amount of successes on behalf of clients, spending just about every day of his working career in a courtroom.
The Founding of His Own Firm
In 1992, he founded the Law Offices of James E. Crawford, Jr. & Associates to address the need for a qualified criminal lawyer in Maryland. He has established himself as a premier practitioner in the state of Maryland and has represented thousands of clients on:
- District Court
- Circuit Court
- Federal Court
Since entering private practice, Attorney Crawford has handled many notable cases that have appeared in the media. The type of cases ranges from ordinary citizens to police officers, professional athletes, lawyer, doctors, politicians, and other persons of notoriety.
Background and Experience
When elected to the Democratic Central Committee in 1984, Attorney Crawford was one of the youngest elected state officials in the history of Maryland. In addition, he has experience working on various races, including:
- City Council
- Attorney General
- State Senate
- County Executive
- State Central Committee
This experience of campaigning and meeting the people of Maryland gave him the winning formula needed to successfully defend clients in courts.
He established the Baltimore Beez, a charity group aimed at providing food to the hungry during the holiday season and providing support to other charities in Baltimore. As an executive board member of Mount Saint Joseph High School, he has devoted time and assistance to the school, including a baseball stadium.
Attorney Crawford is married and has four children.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Criminal Law
- State Courts
- Sex Crimes and Registration
- Computer Crimes
- Drugs and Distribution
- White Collar
- DWI and Traffic
- Drug Charges
- Weapon and Violent Charges
- Domestic Violence
- Juvenile Cause
- Divorce and Custody
- Protective Orders
- Child Pornography
- Maryland Bar, 1992
- United States District Court of Maryland, 1994
- University School of Law Baltimore Maryland: Juris Doctorate, 1992
- University of Baltimore School of Law Baltimore, Maryland: Bachelor of Arts Legal Studies, 1998
- Frostburg State College: Bachelor of Science, 1995
- Mount St. Joseph High School: High School Diploma, 1980
Honors & Awards
- Maryland Super Lawyer Listings, 2014–2017
- Top Lawyer Maryland Award Legal Network, 2013
- AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubble Award, 2005–2017
- AV Preeminent Lexis Nexis Peer Review Highest Rating, 2009–2017
- Lead Counsel Rating LawInfo.com, 2011–2017
- Best of Baltimore Work, Baltimore City Paper, 2011
- Past Elected Official State’s Central Committee, 1982
- Listed Baltimore Leading Firms, Baltimore Magazine
- Professional Associations and Membership
- Maryland Bar Association, Member
- Former County Bar Association, Member
- American Association of Justice, Member
- Maryland State Central Democratic Committee, Past Member
- American Bar Association Section, Criminal Litigation Committee, Member
- DUI/DWI Attorney’s Member
- Criminal Defense Attorney Group, Member
- Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Group, Member
- DUI Defense Lawyer, Member
- DUI Law Group, Member
- Efface PA Criminal Practice Group, Member
- Forensic Science Litigation Attorney Network, Member
- American Association for Justice, Inc, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer
- National Lawyer Guild (NLG)
- Solo Attorney Practitioners Forum
- The Innocence Project
- Trial Lawyer Network for Attorney and Lawyer
- White Collar Criminal Defense Attorney
- American Bar Association
Legal & Political Writing & Speaking Engagements
- There is Only an Opportunity for Justice, Legal Publications 2017
- Identity Fraud; 2012, West Publishing.
- Shoplifting Charges in Maryland; January 2016, Thinking Publication.
- The Wimpering of America; January 2016, Thinking Publication.
- Taxes and Jobs; December 2015, Thinking Publication.
- Acceptance Speech for the Alumni of the Year Award, Mount St. Joseph High School, 2016. (Speaking on political and social issues.)
- Representation of a 17-year old who was accused of rape of a minor
- Representation of a person accused of selling CDS (Controlled Dangerous Substance) in Baltimore by police officers who arrested and subsequently beat him on two occasions
- Representation of a long-time worker at the Catholic Church accused of sexually molesting a client
- Representation of a professional basketball player who was charged with several serious crimes
- Representation of a young man who was accused of serious sex offenses in Baltimore County
- Representation of a young man in Baltimore who was accused of raping and murdering an eight-year-old
- Representation of a man in Maryland County Court who was accused of manufacturing CDS: more than 50 pounds of marijuana
- Representation in the federal District Court of Maryland of a person accused of importing from China hundreds of thousands of “fake” Viagra and other non-brand sexual pills
- Representation of a police officer in Prince Georges County who was accused of various crimes, including a sexual offense
- Representation of a defendant who was being investigated for numerous sexual offenses in Baltimore County